Regarding Free Comic Book Day

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Tue Jan 20 17:37:41 CET 2004

Mads wrote:

>As there are people owning comic shops on this list, I would like to
>know if it benefits the comic publishers to participate in the FCBD?

As far as I can tell, the only benefit to comic shop retailers is the hopeful
improvement of sales, which is obviously why FCBD exists in the first place.
And as far as I know, every retailer has to pay for the books that they are
giving away for free, so if anything, there is an anti-benefit.

Still, the whole concept seems to be working. I was impressed by last year's
wide range of titles, but I think Gemstone would have benefited much more if
they would have released the $3 comics before (or with) the $7 issues. I can
see small children picking up the FCBD issue and instantly being "turned off" by
an ad for $7 comic books.

I don't know how I got off on that. I'm done now.

Dane