October 2004 Gemstone Disney Comics Previews

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 05:47:08 CEST 2004

Hi all!

Here are the Gemstone comics to be released in October 2004 from Previews
Volume XIV #8.

Donald Duck and Friends #321 -- In response to numerous requests that Donald
Duck and Friends contain more vintage material, this issue leads with Carl
Barks'  classic wintertime Donald story, "Snow Fun." Also featured is the
conclusion to last issue's Mickey story, "Werewolf Worries," and a new Thanksgiving
tale, "Had A Gobbler," featuring Donald and the gang. FC, 32 pages. $2.95

Mickey Mouse and Friends #270 -- In response to numerous requests that Mickey
Mouse and Friends contain more vintage material, this issue leads Westward
Whoa, a classic Mickey Mouse western by Paul Murry. Also featured is a Daisy
Duck story, "The Bee's Knees," and a new European Super Goof tale, "Ants in the
Plans." FC, 32 pages. $2.95

Uncle Scrooge #335 -- Gemstone has recieved many requests for Don Rosa's
first Disney tale, "The Son of the Sun," and this issue leads with that classic
story of Scrooge versus Flintheart. Also featured is Daan Jippes' reworking of a
Carl Barks script, "Rodent's Ransom," Michael T. Gilbert's "The Old Fishing
Hole," and more. SC, 7x10, 64 pages, FC. $6.95

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #650 -- William Van Horn's latest tale,
"Bumps," a new Mickey adventure, "The Island of Dr. Morbid," Huey, Dewey and Louie
in "The Imagination Game," "The Duck In Iron Pants," a classic Barks tale,
along with vintage Chip 'n' Dale, L'il Bad Wolf (Gee Pop! You ain't going to be
bad are ya?), and Pluto stories, round out this special 650th issue. SC, 7x10,
64 pages, FC. $6.95

>From Tokyopop:

The Princess Diaries 2 -- No sooner has Princess Mia moved into the royal
palace with her wise grandmother Queen Clarisse than she learns her days as a
princess are numbered - Mia's got to lose the tiara and immediately take the
crown herself in The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement. Cine-Manga, 96 pages, 5
x 7 7/16. $7.99 (Released in November along with the DVD, heck with that
short a time, why see the movie in the theaters? :p )

This reprint stuff might be ominous, but as far as I can remember from
looking at the titles, I don't think I've read either Barks stories or the Murry
story, so it should be new to me. Hopefully reprints will be limited to one story
out of the three in a book, like these October issues are. Beyond reprints,
the 'new' stories seem promising.

BTW, what are these "The Son of the Sun" requests? Tell them to be
financially prudent and get the back issue in NM/MInt condition for $2-3 instead of
blowing $7 on it, for it taking up space in a new issue. :p The back issues are
plentiful. Worried someone will buy it before you? Don't worry, they won't. :p
My theory is that there are only 1-3 diehard Disney comics fans per US comic
shop and chances are, if they were going to buy it, they would have done so. So
don't worry about competition. In over a year, at my comic shop, only one
person has ever bought any Disney back issues besides me and they only bought 2 or
3 issues. The other 40-50 issues went to me. :p  /end of
semi-logical-illogical rant

No MMA #2 for October, so the one-shot status remains. So when MMA #1 comes
out, buy two copies so they'll quickly turn it into a regular series. ;)

Derek Smith