Son of the Sun reprint and others

Jason Gerstein rabidferret at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 24 08:04:14 CEST 2004

Just to throw in my two cents about the reprinting of Rosa's stories...

I agree with the idea that it may be a bit too soon for most of his stories,
but for a select few I don't think it's an outrageous concept. I mean, Son
of the Sun is almost 17 years old already! Of course if you start there when
do you stop? I would personally like to see all of his stories printed in
the US in english on a nicer quality paper at some point(since I seem to
recall some of the Gladstone ones were newsprint), but that could easily be
accomplished in a collection(which never seems to be done in the US or
elsewhere in english). But they certainly don't need to start recycling all
of them in normal comics quite yet(and not at $7/pop).

On a similar note, I would actually prefer it if they stopped reprinting
some of the same Barks stories again and again. Any of the obscure ones are
welcome, but it seems I always stumble across the same stories again and
again. What makes this a problem for me is that I know there are soooooo
many stories that have been printed overseas by guys like Vicar and Branca
that have never made it here. I would prefer new stuff constantly than just
repeating the same things again and again.

One other thing I wanted to touch on was the idea that finding Disney comics
in the US was easy. Gosh no. I've scoured so many comic shops in a variety
of states for Disney comics, and the amount of times I can actually find
anything from the Gladstone era(or anything Don did) is such a rarity. I
find myself almost exclusively having to resort to online or mail order from
a few random stores I find here and there around the country, and even then
they never have a full run available to pick through but just a few random
issues here and there. Nobody stocks them since so few read them.

I've listened to a few people overseas talk about being able to walk into
plenty of stores and look through piles of duck back issues, but here in the
US the ducks are usually relegated to out of the way places or simply not
even carried(with the exception of some of the old Barks comics which have
got prices only collectors can buy). The overseas folk have definately got
it much easier:)

Ok, so maybe that was more than two cents...

-Jason