Son of the Sun reprint and others

Chris Hilbig chilbig1 at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 24 15:33:40 CEST 2004

   I've been under the impression that Gemstone operates trying to make
publishing Disney Comics as economical as possible. (For them) That's
why we in the US we'll mainly see Egmont and Barks material because
Gemstone won't have to pay to produce it, because it already exists.
(Three years worth of Egmont material that's never seen print in the
USA or in English.) I don't know how the Disney license works out for
them or what the schedule at Gemstone is, (I assume every now and then
the staff gets a little behind in their work schedule. It happens. :P)
but I'm left scratching my head as to why stories like "Son of the Sun"
and "His Majesty Mc Duck", which you can find them in a non-yellowed
"in-color" album over at Gladstone, when there is such a back-log of
material from Europe. I think there would be a greater appreciation if
the U$ title featured Rosa/Vicar/Branca material that hasn't seen print
here in the US.

   Barks is sort of a different matter, there is such a vast collection
of his work, it's probably very  easy to re-re-reprint his work.  What
some fans may have seen, others haven't. In his case, I would suggest
reprinting work that hasn't been seen in the past 10-20 years. I also
agree with the idea of a classics title or special collection/library
in TPB dedicated to Rosa, Bark, etc.  Gemstone could easily keep them
in print for months if not years at a time.

  I'm also not much of a fan of mixing Mouse and Duck material in both
"the Friends"  and "Adventure" titles, but I'm assuming Gemstone wants
to maximize sales with this strategy. I don't know if this has been a
success compared to both the Gladstone and Disney runs. (For
Gladstone's second run, you had to purchase WDC&S, D and M, or DD and
MM titles if you wanted to read any mouse stories. Otherwise, the Duck
titles had been kept segregated from Mouse stuff.)

Nonetheless, selling Disney comics here in the US is a tuff bit. I
remember towards the end of Gladstone's second run, shops here in San
Antonio just quit carrying them. Although back issues of Disney Comics'
run are still in ample supply, compared to Gladstone and other runs.
But comic shops haven't been as enjoyable since most of them have
converted over to being collector stores. On top of that, over the
years comic stores have become few and farther between. So ordering
online and through mail order has become more and more of an attractive
alternative.

  Speaking of ordering online, can anyone recommend an online Italian
comic shop that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping?

Chris