DCML Digest Issue 29

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Jul 27 14:22:26 CEST 2004

> From: "Lars Olav Karlsen" <donald at lokarlsen.com>
> Subject: Don Rosa drawings
> I was wondering on if anybody knew a
> good place to buy Don Rosa drawings? I have always wanted one original
> drawing from him, but I can't find any good place to buy.
> I have noticed that some are selling on Ebay, but I don't want to buy
> something from someone that just got it from free from Don Rosa and now
> want to make a buck from it.

Well, don't worry too much. The only ones I do for free, and which a few
louts do put onto eBay, would be b&w scribbles. Those I hope you would not
buy, not just because someone exploited my good will by posing as a fan to
get it, but simply because it's not *worth* anything much... it's just a 10
second scribble! Any others you see on eBay would be the full-color types
that I *always* charged for at American conventions, and which the buyers
are certainly free to sell in any ethical or moral way you might consider
it. I started out years ago charging about $15 for careful, full-figure
drawings, and at the end I was charging about $30-40 for large full-color
publication-quality illustrations. The reason I stopped doing those
full-color drawings at cons was not so much that people were selling them...
if they had resold them for $40-$50 that would have been one thing... but
people were getting up to $700-800 for those drawings they paid me $40 for!
And I just can't allow myself to be used like that, even if it was
admittedly by only a few louts.