Keeping it real...

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 12 15:56:19 CEST 2004

D van E wrote:

> So, that's why I'm thinking of the (retorical) question: Why ruin the warm
> all-age escapist entertainment of a real existant Uncle Donald, in
> exchange
> for some credits under each adventure, telling on which drawing-board the
> particular character's adventure in fact was created, and when?

<<< snip >>>

> Maybe it would be nice to mention an (Inducks?) internet URL in the Dutch
> comics, which the average readers just can ignore, like all the other
> editorial stuff at the bottom of the letters page.

AND I RESPOND:

Is it necessary to assume that everyone has Internet access so that credit
can be given where credit is due, rather than simply state creator indicia
on a separate page?  If kids choose not distinguish between fantasy and
reality I doubt a list of credits elsewhere in the book is going to shake
that attitude.  Meanwhile, people who have worked hard to entertain kids (as
opposed to actually lying to them about what is real and what is not)
wouldn't have to hope that readers visit every web site that's advertised
for recognition of their efforts.

DANIEL CONTINUES:

> I like that approach. As a Disney comics reader, I want to believe in a
> "real" Duckburg, existing in a unknown place somewhere on this planet.
> No matter how much Duckburg changes in every other story.

That's an interesting opinion, and I grant your right to express it and
believe it.  But I wonder how many children genuinely feel that way. I
constantly hear adults say that they are only thinking of the kids, but I
have always found that attitude condescending and not entirely honest.

I have no trouble involving myself in a movie, TV show, book or comic for a
period of time even at the age of 51.  Knowing that the films or written
media did not create themselves does not deny me the joy of a well-told tale
or the rush of emotion that goes with fully realized characters.  And as a
youth I reveled in learning who made some of my favorite stories seem so
real.

I think of all the years I wondered who was drawing and writing the good
Duck stories.  I would not know the name of Carl Barks for many, many years.
I never believed in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, but I've known plenty of
adults with no imagination who grew up with the idea that such myths were
not myths at all.  Does that mean if we tell our kids that the Easter Bunny
is real we will stunt their creative potential?  Of course not.  But I don't
believe the opposite to be true either.  Revealing the truth that comics are
the product of hard work by intelligent people is probably not going to
spoil good stories for Dutch kids any more than it does for Americans.