DCML Digest Issue 20

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Mar 19 13:42:34 CET 2004

> From: "Dyer, Sonia" <sonia.dyer at hp.com>
> Subject: RE: Center of the Earth
> Regarding stories to the Center of the Earth...in addition to resolving
> questions about heat and air pressure, I've always wondered if, as you
> go deeper towards the core, would the strength of gravity on a person
> become smaller or larger, or stay the same?

As I suggested to the other person, you need to hunt down my 1994 story. It
explains how as you go deeper into the earth, more of the planet's mass
(that which creates the earth's gravity) is above you than below you,
therefore you naturally become lighter. At the very center (if you could
find a void, which you couldn't) you'd be weightless. But long before you
reached that point (again, if there was a passage that reached that deep,
which is impossible) you'd be squished to jelly by the weight of the air
pressing down that passage on top of you. I had to make sure the Ducks
traveled in a vacuum created by the Omnisolve(tm), which also hardened a
super-dense temporary tube through the molten outer core (yeah, right!) and
which also absorbed the heat (I'm soooo sure!).