DCML Digest Issue 4

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue May 4 15:26:03 CEST 2004

> From: david.skoglund at att.net
> Subject: Don Rosa cover recreations?
> Last fall, Don Rosa was a guest at FallCon2003 in the Twin Cities
> (Minnesota). He had a variety of prints for sale that were
> recreations of famous comic book covers but with the Ducks; ie.
> Action Comics #1 featuring Donald Duck instead of Superman.
> Sadly, I ran out of money before I got to that booth. Does anyone
> know where these can be purchased? Any information is appreciated.

Yes, I think it's been said here (?) that those are prints of cover parodies
that I've done over the years for comic dealer friends and for auctions to
raise funds for the annual American Association of Comicbook Collectors
banquets. I stopped doing those full-color drawings for fans at conventions
due to "eBay abuse"... but as a convention guest I have to have *something*
to offer, especially since in America not that many people have the Disney
comic books for autographing. So I have those parodies of famous old comic
book covers.
But I have those at American comic conventions. I don't have the time or
desire to send them to people by mail. I would gladly bring them to European
or South American comic festivals, but I would never have the chance to mess
with them there! It's one thing being in America where I have someone come
to my table about once every 15-30 minutes -- it's another thing when I'm in
Europe and I have a line of people 4-wide going across the store, out the
front door, and curling around the entire mall, waiting 4-5 hours just for a
quick signature. If I was wealthy and had a staff of assistants like
everyone in Europe assumes I do, I could have my lackeys at adjoining tables
taking care of that sort of thing (wow -- selling T-shirts, posters, CAPTAIN
KENTUCKY books, wheee), but I'm a one-man operation just trying to earn
enough for that one man much less some staff.
I'll be in Detroit at the MotorCityCon on May 14-16 with those prints. Then
I'll be in Denver with them on August 28. But I won't have the prints on my
other trips this year to Brazil (May 21-31), Scandinavian tour (June 3-10),
Sweden (September), Norway (October), and Greece (November).