Out with the New, in with the Old

SRoweCanoe@aol.com SRoweCanoe at aol.com
Fri May 14 13:34:16 CEST 2004

In a message dated 5/13/2004 8:20:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jerryblake2 at juno.com writes:
<<When Joe Torcivia says he'd like to see all-new stories, he's speaking
from his own viewpoint--that of a great collector who has pretty much all
the Disney stuff worth reading. However, many of us (myself included)
were too young to see the good stuff when it was first printed and too
poor to buy out of print stuff.>>

i think another of Joe's points is that you can buy the out of print stuff
cheaper than you can the current in-print stuff  (although Joe, it does take
more skill to find it)/  Most of the 1950s WDC&S you can get for under $5 -
usually 2-3 dollars.   why because they printed over 2000000 copies of each.

<< So, I'd like to see at least 50% reprints
in the Gemstone works--and new stuff should also be chosen more
carefully. Sonia Dyer says there's nothing wrong with publishing "both
genres" of Mickey stories--fantasy stories and detective stories--but
Gemstone has not been doing that. With the exception of Byron Erickson's
Mickey tales and Noel Van Horn's terrible Phantom Blot one (which
violated Mouse history unforgivably by making Mickey an idiot and having
Minnie save the day), all the Mickey "adventure" stories published by
Gemstone have utilized ghosts, dragons, wizards, Greek myths, or other
supernatural phenomena for story devices. >>
thanks for repeating this.  Obviously there are folks who like this stuff and
apparently like it well enough to not understand that there are folks like us
who dislike it intensely/
  I've read Mickey as fairy tale before (there was the brave little tailor
for example).  Of course, he was presented as an actor in those stories, playing
the role in a fairy tale.
I even like fairy tales and collect fairy tale and mythology comics (i've
buying the Classics Illustrated Junior reprints) - so it';s not that i'm immune
to the charm of fairy tales.
   ok, to be honest i am using the words "fairy tales" other than folk tales
- because of the old Chase Craig quote ~kids dont like fairy tales~ and thus
Don Glut could write only one Porky Pig fairy tale, but could write 5 Dagar
fairy tales, cause the Dagar readers were older and didnt know they were reading
fairy tales  :-)
  to me, these stories just arent Mickey (or at least not MY mickey)

   If i am reading a message correctly, it looks like the Mickey as fairy
tale is here to stay, with other type stories only occasionaly .....   \
  too bad

steven rowe