DCML Digest, Vol 21, Issue 21

John Lustig john at lastkisscomics.com
Sun Nov 21 19:01:38 CET 2004

on 11/21/04 3:00 AM, dcml-request at stp.ling.uu.se at
dcml-request at stp.ling.uu.se wrote:

> "Somewhere..." is a sequel to "Yukon...", and the cover is for
> "Somewhere..." - a sketch Barks did that Pat Block has finished.
>
> Gary

I hate to disagree with Gary about this, but‹as the person who wrote the
script to ³Somewhere in Nowhere²--I want to make it clear that ³Somewhere²
is not a sequel to ³North of the Yukon.² There are definitely some
similarities between the two: 1) general location; 2) both involve dog
sledding; and 3) a desperate attempt by the hero to make his way across the
frozen tundra while the villain tries to stop him. There are, however, some
big differences between the two.

³Somewhere² does not continue or in anyway refer to the plot of ³Yukon.²
Scrooge is not the main character in ³Somewhere.² And the villains‹although
both pig-faced‹are different. In ³Somewhere² Donald is trying to deliver
mail to an impossible address in the wilderness and in ³Yukon² Scrooge is
racing against the villain to recover a satchel dropped from a plane.

I don¹t want to get any more specific than that because I don¹t want to
spoil the plot.

As to whether ³Somewhere² was inspired by ³Yukon,² well‹yes, no and maybe.
³Yukon² was certainly a story I kept in the back of my mind when I was
scripting ³Somewhere.² But I certainly wasn¹t trying to do a sequel or make
it similar to ³Yukon.² If anything, quite the reverse. I can¹t say for sure
what Carl had in mind when he came up with the original plot. It may very
well be that some aspects of ³Yukon² were reflected in or influenced the
creation of ³Somewhere.²

Best Wishes,
John Lustig
Sign up for free weekly Last Kiss e-mail comics at www.lastkisscomics.com