Music in Rosa's Kalevala story

Larry Giver lgiver at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 1 03:03:44 CEST 2004

     I bought my long-awaited copy of Rosa's Kalevala story
in Gemstone's new US334 October issue.  Don says the
musical notation in the story are from "Finlandia".
     But not when Louhi plays the Kantele.  Once there was
a musical game show "Name that Tune" on television where
the 2 contestants bid how few notes they would need to
identify a song.  On page 21 panel 1,  Louhi summons the
sea monster playing just 2 notes on the Kantele.  Just 2
notes are too few for me to say what they're from.
But in panel 4 she plays 5 notes as she and the sea
monster fly off to terrorize Helsinki.  With these 5 notes I
can "Name that Tune".  It's from Richard Wagner's
"Ride of the Valkyries".