Human figures in Rosa's Kalevala story

Larry Giver lgiver at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 6 22:13:56 CEST 2004

     I was surprised to see that Don Rosa drew the 3 Kalevala immortals,
Vainamoinen = old man, Ilmarinen, and Louhi, with full human features,
including nose, and 5 fingers.  Is this the first time Rosa has drawn
any fully human characters in Duck stories?  Not even President
Teddy Roosevelt was drawn fully human.  I think Bark's last use of human
features on a character was in Tralla La, from page 5, panel 5, through
page 6, panel 3 (US6, June, 1954).  Rosa used the main character from
this segment at the end of "Xanadu", but added a typical cartoonish
dog-nose when drawing him.  So until the Kalevala story, I thought
Don Rosa was respecting the tabu against using full human figures
in duck stories.
     By the way, does anyone know why Barks drew the ducks of
Tralla La with 5 fingers (see US6, page 16 panel 6), and in other ways
closer to human figures than Duckburg ducks?