More on Van Horn orange juice art

John Lustig john at lastkisscomics.com
Fri Oct 8 22:17:03 CEST 2004

A couple of weeks or so ago, there were some questions about the William Van
Horn artwork that appeared on some Donald Duck Orange Juice containers back
in the 1990's. I spoke to Bill about this and he answered the questions as
best he could from memory. I then posted that info here.

A few days later, Bill dug out his files and gave me a more accurate and
full account. I never got around to posting that info. So here it is now:

According to Bill's records, he drew six Donald Duck "one-page" gags that
ran on the orange juice cartons. The first was in about 1991 and he thinks
it was written by Mike Royer. The gag had something to do with a cruise
ship.

The other five stories were all written by Bob Foster and Bill drew them in
1994. The stories had to do with the following:

1. A salesman tries to sell a gizmo to Donald.

2. Donald has so many weekend chores to do that he can't decide where to
start. He goes to check on his nephews and ends up joining them watching TV
and ignoring his chores.

3. Donald is in a locker room and is straining to put on various fancy
sportswear. Getting dressed and ready is so much effort that he decides that
he doesn't need any additional exercise that day.

4. Donald climbs a mountain to seek wisdom from a guru.

5. Donald, Daisy and the boys are on a camping vacation. But Daisy isn't
getting any rest because she's doing all the work.

By the way, the art for the gag about weekend chores was recently auctioned
on the Heritage Comics site. It can be seen at:

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=813&Lot_No=2257&
src=pr

I guess that's about it. I know Bob Foster made some comments about all this
weeks ago. Does this square with your memory of the OJ project, Bob?

Best Wishes,
John Lustig
Sign up for free weekly Last Kiss e-mail comics at www.lastkisscomics.com