Info about bronze/silver age comic-book artists

Niels Houlberg Hansen NHH at ra.sa.dk
Thu Oct 21 13:40:57 CEST 2004

Hello everybody.

I am trying to write a small article about Disney silver/bronze age comics,
but unfortunately my information/knowledge is incomplete. So if anybody can
help me answering one or more of the below questions, I will be eternally
grateful.

1) I read somewhere that Pete Alvarado died in 1995 and John Carey in 1990.
Does anybody know if this is true?

2) Mike Arens is supposed to have drawn a newspaper strip called "Hey Mac"
before he began to work on Scamp, Chip'n'Dale etc. for Western. Does anybody
know what kind of strip it was (adventure, funny animal, or?) and who the
writer was?

3) Can anybody tell me what year Jack Manning was born and if he is still
alive? And where did he work before he was hired by Hanna-Barbera in 1959?
(Other animation studio(s), I guess, but which one(s)?)

4) What animation studio(s) did Howard Swift work for in the 1930s before he
was hired by Disney (where he e.g. contributed to the pink elephants scene
in Dumbo)?

5) And finally: What did George Sherman and Tom Golberg do before they began
to organise Disney's "overseas comics programme" in the early 1960s - maybe
other work for Disney?

Gee whiz...that's a lot of strange questions, but any
help/comments/information/corrections will be received with gratitude.

Kind regards,
Niels