Stil/Steele

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at alumni.princeton.edu
Fri Oct 29 07:48:21 CEST 2004

DON:

> (not "Stil"... the real
> names of actual people should not be translated)

I don't know if this was a typo in the posting to which you are replying, but
in some cases, it might be best if names are phonetically transcribed to
something that sounds similar in the target language. In Greek, e.g.,
literally transcribing "Steele" as sigma-tau-epsilon-epsilon-lambda-epsilon
would result in something pronounced steh-eh-leh, so "Stil" (using Greek
letters, of course) is the preferred transcription. The only issue is whether
the "i" should be an iota (current transcription practice) or an eta (older
transcription practice). I wonder if this is the same case with Polish, where
"Steele" might be equally unpronounceable.
--
	Kriton.
-----