Marvin (re: Good Housekeeping pages)

David Gerstein ramapith at verizon.net
Sat Apr 23 05:22:41 CEST 2005

> Regarding an album of the Good Housekeeping Disney pages, it is my
> understanding that these pages were not  comics, but were summaries
> with illustration of the Mickey, Donald, and Silly Symphonies movie
> cartoons.

	A few were reprinted in the Gladstone I series comics (1980s era).
Each page consists of four or five paintings telling the story of an
intended cartoon, with the plotline related alongside the pictures in
Edward Lear-like rhyming verse.
	I say "intended" cartoon, by the way, because given the long lead time
for magazine production in the 1930s, these Good Housekeeping pages
often had to be created as their corresponding cartoons were just
starting production. Often a cartoon would be heavily revised or even
shelved after its GH page was made; so the pages reveal great numbers
of interesting concepts that never reached the screen.

	David