Story I would like to read.

olaf.solstrand@andebyonline.com olaf.solstrand at andebyonline.com
Mon Aug 29 09:11:12 CEST 2005

Laura Alioravainen wrote:

> I would like to know is here anybody else who would like to read a story
> about the nephwefs to fll in love. I think that would be very cute nd
> original. I've never read such a story.

Recommended reading: "Qui, Quo, Qua e il tempo delle mele" (I'm assuming
you're Finnish - the story was printed in Aku Ankan Taskukirja 130)

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php/x/I+TL+1688-A

There, one of the nephews (Huey according to Inducks) falls in love with a
niece of Daisy (not April, May or June), and the story is mostly about
Dewey and Louie trying to save their pal and brother from the oh so
horrible cooties and get him back to his senses before it's too late.
Personally, I think the whole idea of ONE of them falling in love while
the others still think of girls as water balloon target practice and
something you should stay far away from is much better than a story with
all three of them falling in love.

Old fogey Dan wrote:

> The nephews are too young to develop real love, and I think a youthful
> crush is not in keeping with their all-boy, girl-hating characters.

OK. They are how old? 68 this fall? :-)

Seriously, as much as I partly agree with you, I think that one should be
open for more flexibility. How old are Huey, Dewey and Louie? Aw, who
cares?  In the Duck universe, very few things are pinpointed. Things are
so flexible to give a wider range of possible stories. Should we need to
place Duckburg in the middle of a desert, we do although it was by the
coast last month. Do we need Donald to be single, he is. Why doesn't that
same thing go for the characters' ages?

Both Taliaferro and Barks showed Huey, Dewey and Louie driving Donald's
car, and some of the more experienced in here will probably say I'm wrong,
but in my opinion driving a car is a more dangerous game for a preteen
than falling in love for the first time. Sure, she's bound to break your
heart, but in most cases you still come out of it with all other limbs in
one piece.

Of course, I'm not saying that I'd like to see Huey, Dewey and Louie
involved in heavy french kissing or other such things, but I don't really
see the problem in stories where our favourite nephews in the whole wide
world have small crushes on girls.

Even Calvin occationally has some feeling that vaguely resembles a crush
for Susie. And he's six years old.

Maciek wrote:

> In some Don Rosa storys ["The Three Caballeros ride agian" and "The
> Guardians of the Lost Library" ] it was shown  that HD&L are afraid/hate
> girls. It was funny... Yet It fell very wierd - since how guys who are sow
> clever and Iteligent can be sow in-mature?

Hey. Cooties have nothing to do with cleverness, intelligence or maturity.
Cooties are a matter of survival. Don't say you've NEVER hated girls as a
child? Girls aren't scary, they're just creepy. They're very different
from us normal human beings, you know. With their dolls and stuffed
animals and tea partys (and not the kind where the soldiers dress up as
Indians) and other gross habits.

(I assume all female members of the list are sophisticated enough to see
the irony in what I'm writing. I've had many cootie infections since I was
a child.)

Otherwise, I would love to read the "GIRLS" chapter of the Junior
Woodchuck Guidebook. :-)

my twenty-six cents,
Olaf