Of love, childhod, and... ducks

Santiago García saturno3x1 at yahoo.es
Wed Aug 31 13:43:02 CEST 2005

Dan Shane:

Thank you for this little argue which helps me out of
the routine for a few moments ;-)

All right: I see our points of view about childhood
are quite different. By my own experience: My friends
and me had our first girlgriends at 7 or 8. And we
felt that was real love, not as a way to imitate the
adult people, believe me. And that was indeed an very
exciting adventure for us.

> I feel sorry for kids who hurry up their
> lives and pretend that they are emotionally mature
> enough to get involved in
> the way many adults seem to think is "cute."

Yes, I understand what you mean, but I'd just not
include loving into that "effort" to pretend to be
mature.

> As a small boy I was [...] wonderful
> to be around because of the joy I found in life.  I
> want the nephews always to exhibit that joy, not get
> bogged down in the mire of romance.

Sorry, but I cannot see why you seem to see romance as
a duty instead of a joy. Moreover, falling in love is
not a kind of task one usually imposes to himself, but
a natural "accident" that sometimes happens. I just
think that could happen to HDL occasionally, just like
it happens to some children of their age.

> You are comparing apples and oranges.  All these are
> instances of the nephews' MENTAL acuity, not
> EMOTIONAL maturity.  The figurative heart has
nothing
> to do with the logical head.

Do you really think that emotional maturity is not
linked *anyway* with rational maturity? All right,
let's assume it. Then, let me pose these other
examples instead: (May I go on with Barks?)
	-In "You can't guess", HDL feel fed up with toys and
decide to let Santa Claus give their toys to the poor
children;
	-In "The golden river", HDL stay with Scrooge and
take care of him even after he's been so mean not to
give'em money for their sport field;
	-In "No such varmint", HDL are worried about Donald
getting a good job while he is only wandering about
playing his flute here and there;
	-In "The secret of Hondorica", HDL force Donald to
rescue Gladstone from the natives' village, even if
he's going to keep half the reward they will get from
Scrooge;
	-In "Back to the Klondike", HDL feel guilty after
they have discovered Gliterring Goldie to Scrooge;
	-In "The old castle's secret", HDL are the only ones
who pursue the ghost ("Uncle Quackly") never letting
him frighten them;
	-In "The golden helmet", HDL are the only ones
sensitive enough to let the helmet sunk instead of
owning it to be the masters of America.

Look: In all of these examples, I'd say HDL's
behaviour is much more *emotionally* mature than any
of the adults around (Donald, Scrooge, etc). Excuse
me, but I think it's a major probe of emotional
maturity to have as high control of one's feelings as
to let appart one's own wishes and take care of the
next, instead. Try to see it the other way: Would you
say Donald is emotionally mature to be in love? Then,
why is he often so selfish, ingenuous, coward, pride,
insolent, etc?

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Santiago.

P.S.: Excuse me this last part, Donald fans. It's
nothing personal ;-)