May 2005 Gemstone Comics Prevews/Comments

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 05:30:12 CET 2005

Hi all!

Here are the previews for Disney comics being released in May from Previews
Volume XV #3:

Donald Duck and Friends #328 --- Donald battles his nephews to get them to
bathe in this issue's Carl Barks reprint, his renowned "Three Dirty Little
Ducks," (my first Disney comic story!) from Walt Disney Comics and Stories #43
(April 1944). A modern Mickey Mouse tale, "Computer Commando," by Sarah Kinney and
Rodriquez, and a modern Donald, "Homing Pigeons," drawn by Vicar, complete
the book. 32 pages, FC $2.95

Donald Duck Adventures #12 --- Three long Disney adventure stories: Donald
Duck in "The Once and Future Donald," by Michael T. Gilbert and Fecchi; Mickey
Mouse in "The Town That Hated Mickey," by Michael T. Gilbert and Joaquin; and
Uncle Scrooge in "Deep Sea Dilemma," by Dave Rawson and Miguel. Cover by
William Van Horn (one of the best-looking he's ever done. Just appeals to me for
some reason). 128 pages, FC $7.95

Mickey Mouse and Friends #277 --- In this issue's lead story, "Mickey, Most
Wanted," by Stefan Petrucha and Cesar Feroli, Mickey gets amnesia and thinks
he's a gang member. Donald in "It's Elementary My Dear," by Pat and Shelly Block
and Millet, and Goofy in "The Great Protector," by Sarah Kinney and David,
complete the book. 32 pages, FC $2.95

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #657 --- William Van Horn's latest
ten-pager, "Nature Boy," is the subject for this issue's cover and the lead story. Also
featured is the first two installments of the not-to-be-missed 12-part Mythos
Island series by Pat and Carol McGreal , Per Hedman, and Cesar Feroli; a
vintage L'il Bad Wolf tale (I guess vintage Bucky Bug stories were burned long ago
:p ), and more. 64 pages, FC $6.95

Uncle Scrooge #342 --- Don Rosa provides the cover and lead story this issue
with his sequel to "Crown of the Crusader Kings": "The Old Castle's Other
Secret - A Letter from Home." Also featured is "Next Stop, Bagpipe Halt," by
Daniel Branca, as well as Gyro Gearloose and Beagle Boys short stories. 64 pages,
FC $6.95

Walt Disney's Vacation Parade #2 --- The wraparound cover is a recreation of
the original Vacation Parade #2 cover, restored by Rick Keene. The interior
consists of new and vintage tales with a vacation theme, highlighted by Carl
Barks' classic Donald adventure, "Dangerous Disguise," and a rarely-seen Mickey
story, "Rams-Head Ramblers," by Bill Wright, from the original Vacation Parade
#2. 80 pages, FC $8.95

I usually like the McGreal's stories, so I sure hope that Mythos Island
series is good. Otherwise we'll be complaining like superhero comics fan do: "When
will this stupid 6 part 192 page arc about Spiderman getting angsty once
again, end?!?!" ;) Though unlike superhero comics, WDCS does have the luxury of
many stories per issue, not just one, so you can ignore it if you don't like it.

Derek Smith