AW: Some legal concepts

le Richard lerichard at free.fr
Tue Jan 4 20:36:56 CET 2005

Le mardi 4 Janvier 2005 19:33, Herbert Snorrason a écrit :
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:27:05 +0100, Stefan Persson <spe at inducks.org> wrote:
> > And what country's copyright laws apply for e.g. a story for the Danish
> > publisher, written by someone in China and drawn by someone in France?
>
> The one in which the story is read. Copyright violation is no
> different from any other violation of law; the contry in which the
> offence takes place has jurisdiction.

Exactly. I think one could also sue someone in his country for things that he
did in another country when he is back in his own country. For instance, a
German court comdemned a German for abusing children in Thailand, once he get
back in Germany. Likewise, France never extradites its own citizens (even for
murder or anything), but they give the possibility to any party to sue him in
France, where of course only French laws will apply.

There are copyright laws in most countries, although they are of course all
different.
If you publish something on the internet on a server hosted by a particular
country, and it's illegal according to the laws of another country, the
offended party can not do much against you. For instance, Yahoo hosted Nazi
propaganda images on their US server, which was found illegal in France (and
not in the US). A juge association sued Yahoo, and could win only because
Yahoo had a French subsidee that they could sue, and fine. I think that if
Yahoo were only located in the US, they wouldn't have been able to do much.

I don't know if there is any country where copyright laws are very permissible
so that you could publish Disney comics stories from that place (anyway
Disney could sue you in that country and you would not stand a chance).

--
I'm not reading mails sent to lerichard at free.fr anymore. To contact me use
f-wi at induREMOVE.also.THIScks (remove the hyphen and add ".org").