Steve Geppi TV appearence, Gemstone question, Gemstone suggestion

deanmary deanmary at zoominternet.net
Fri Jul 1 00:33:24 CEST 2005

    Last night I was watching a 90 minute special program on the CNBC
cable channel called "The Ebay Effect".  Throughout the special they
showed 5 or 6 different people whose lives were affected by Ebay and
Steve Geppi was one of them!  They spent about 90 seconds to 2 minutes
on him and I think it was in the first 30 minutes of the show.  If you
paid close attention you could see some Disney comics and even some
Carl Barks paintings.  I looked at CNBC's schedule and the show is
supposed to be repeated Sunday from 8 to 9:30 PM and 11 to 12:30 PM
Eastern time.  I thought some people might like to catch the short
Geppi segment and the rest of the show about Ebay is quite interesting
as well.

    I have a question for perhaps Gary Leach and/or David Gerstein.
Is Gemstone currently in negotiations to be able to reprint classic
Disney comics strips from people such as Gottfredson, Taliaferro and
others?  If so, could you give us even a hint about the progress of
the negotiations.  I of course understand that you may not be able to
do this.

    Now for a Gemstone suggestion.  Recently, Gemstone has been
reprinting a number of early Carl Barks ten pagers.  I was wondering
if there are any plans to reprint some of his later 10 pagers say from
issues of WDC&S from 200 and up.  It appears to me that there are
numerous 10 pagers from that era which have not been reprinted since
before Gladstone got the license in the mid-1980's.  I just think it
would be nice to see some 10 pagers from the other end of Barks'
career.  What does anyone else think about that?

    I am *very* much pro new stories versus re-re-reprints, but even I
can not find much fault with reprinting stories that have not been
printed in comic book format since before Gladstone got started.  That
is why I want to applaud Gemstone for their recent habit of printing
Barks Scrooge stories that have not been reprinted since before
Gladstone.  Yes, they may not be as good as some of his classics, but
I would much rather have a so-so Barks story that hasn't been
reprinted for awhile than a classic that has been re-re-reprinted to
death!  So keep up the good work in that regard.  It is much
appreciated.

Dean Rekich