spelling

UNDBKB@aol.com UNDBKB at aol.com
Fri Jun 17 19:13:03 CEST 2005

> As a solely English speaker, most other languages seem  to appear very
> curious.

As a teacher of foreign students I can tell you there are many
"Inconsistencies" in English.

Many words with more than one meaning or pronounced differently, is just the
beginning of problems for learning English
Example:
"Read"    are you doing it or already done? (Reeeed or red)
Context of the sentence helps us, but some foreign speakers are reading a
word at time.

Many words from other languages or unknown sources and idioms we use that
seem commonplace.
 "Yankee"  Actually from the Revolutionary War

I recall a translation of "Hold the Fort" (basically: keep things safe) for a
European Disney Comic-it was translated into:
Keep the Castle

I know Mr. Rosa tries very hard to be careful with dialogue.
Things to be translated need to make sense.

I think most foreign languages are a little more "Pure"

English is a melting pot of many languages.

Barry