Stats, coloring

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Tue May 3 00:46:24 CEST 2005

GARY, TIMO: Thank you for your very insightful information on the
technology of pre-computer comic book printing.

I understand the stats were high contrast photopositives shot by a
large, "stat"ionary mounted camera from the original artwork. What sizes
did these stats have? Oversized like the original artwork? Comic book
size? Smaller?

And were they completely b/w or did they still have greytones?

I also wonder how the printing plates were made from the stats. Were
these real plates? Or was it rather some kind of cel? I suppose they
were thrown away after printing the books?

And what did foreign publishers receive who licensed the books? Did the
get copies of the stats and had to make their own printing plates? Or
did they get the stats themselves and hat to return them? Or did they
get printing plates?

Are there efforts by Egmont or other Disney publishers today to digitize
all surviving stats?

Best wishes,
Cord