AW: AW: German Hall of Fame 3 ?

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Wed Nov 9 23:53:30 CET 2005

DISCLAIMER: The following paragraphs are pure speculation. I do not have
any special insights into the interior mechanisms of comic books
publishers. What I do know however is how businesses are run and why
sometimes things don't work as they are supposed to ;-)

The main reason why publishers often do not send out free copies to
authors is, I think,

+ NOT the cost of the book (absolutely negligible)
+ NOT the shipping costs
+ BUT RATHER: the amount of work necessary to keep track who actually
are tho book's authors and where they live

So the problem probably isn't money - but time. There has to be someone
whose job description includes "send out author's copies". If there
isn't no one will find the time to do it, even if everybody has good
intentions.

I believe every publisher will send out one (or more) free author's
copies if they are specifically asked for a certain book. But they may
not find the time to do this automatically for every publication.

In the case of authors like Don Rosa or Vicar, whose works are published
a lot by Ehapa here in Germany, I suppose Ehapa would rather be willing
to send out *every* new German Disney publication to them. This may in
fact be easier (and thereby cheaper) than trying to filter only those
which contain stories by the respective author. It may not hurt to ask
Ehapa for this.

Cord