Hoola Bandoola!

nils@math.uio.no nils at math.uio.no
Mon Oct 3 16:28:18 CEST 2005

I've always been fond of The Hoola Bandoola
Band, formed in 1970 by the very gifted Swedish
musicians Mikael Wiehe, Björn Afzelius and Peter
Clemmedson; see e.g.
http://www.progg.se/band.asp?ID=36

But I didn't know (until today) that their name,
which should be known to all Scandinavians with
any affinity to the history of "political rock"
(as opposed to "list pop"), apparently is taken
from a Donald Duck movie. My question is:
is this really true?, and, v etom sluchae, which
DD movie, precisely?

It says on the website that the cartoon in question
is about ants attacking Donald & Daisy's picnic,
and "Hoola Bandoola!" is apparently the attack
war cry of the ants ... (in the American original?
or only in the Swedish version?)

Nils Lid Hjort