HD&L's emotional maturity and identical

Santiago García saturno3x1 at yahoo.es
Fri Sep 2 12:41:36 CEST 2005

Elaine:

> In reference to Santiago's statement, "They are not
> shown acting as *actual*
> kids, but as we wished our children to behave"--I
> don't agree with that.
> Yes, they are, as Dan says, the closest to ethical
> maturity among the ducks.
> But in their ability to rescue the adults, they are
> a *child's* fantasy of
> what a kid should be/really is, not an adult fantasy
> of what a child should be

That's OK for me. (You see, I'm still a bit of a
child... ;-). What I meant was just to disagree with
Dan's sentence:

>Let the kids act like kids in the comics.

Still Elaine:

> The nephews' indignation at
> Scrooge's suggestion that
> they are "pretty much alike" in Return to Plain
> Awful was one of the
> laugh-out-loud moments for me in that story. At the

For me, too!

> same time, I'm
> interested in how other writers might view the
> nephews' identical
> triplethood differently.

Interesting discuss. I sometimes wonder by Barks
made'em as many as *three*. Some notes amaze me:
    -About the look: They could have different looks:
The unique-HDL-look is not usually used to mistake one
of them by another (and may not be used, because
having the same personality and circumstances, such
mistake wouldn't have interest);
    -About the personality: They behave the same, so
they could be just one person (=duck);

Maybe it was the need for three characters and the
laziness to make three different sketches?

I just can think of one reason why I really appreciate
this triple-character as it is conceived: Their
looking is really comical!

Cheers,

Santiago.