DCML Digest, Vol 31, Issue 8

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Tue Sep 6 17:59:31 CEST 2005

Chris Barat wrote:

> As many people may recall (try as they might NOT to!), Huey, Dewey,
> and Louie had distinctive "looks" and personalities in the TV
> series Quack Pack.  Earlier, Dewey got a bit of distinctive
> characterization (or at least a trait that distinguished him from
> the other kids) in the DuckTales episode "Duck in the Iron Mask,"
> wherein he's described at being "the best at coming up with escape
> plans."  Take these as canonical or non- as you wish.

Here's my reading: Just as "Donald's Nephews" gives us the first
manifestation of Huey, Dewey and Louie, so did legends of some
ancient tribal warrior(s) in Briton provide the first manifestation
of King Arthur. It took Barks, in the realm of comics, to bring us
the full realization of the classic nephews, just as Malory gave us
the full flowering of the classic romance of Arthur. Neither is
really Canon in the Biblical sense - a set of works accepted as
sacred - but they do stand as canon, that is, criteria by which other
works may be judged.

I guess the thing to consider is whether something like "DuckTales"
or "Quack Pack" gives us anything towards the nephews that's on the
same order as what T.H. White's "Once and Future King" - or, to stay
in the realm of film, "Excalibur" or Disney's "Sword in the Stone" -
gives us towards King Arthur. Personally, I don't think they make the
grade.

Gary