Who created Huey, Dewey and Louie?

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Tue Sep 6 21:16:15 CEST 2005

Here's an old quote from David Gerstein regarding the boys' origin:

http://stp.lingfil.uu.se/pipermail/dcml/2003-August/018707.html

> I've got WDC&S 523, with an extended article about Al Taliaferro.
> [...]
> * Taliaferro "suggested that the [Disney] Studio create three nephews
> for Donald and feature them in a short. The idea was accepted, and in
> February 1937, the story department sent Taliaferro a memo
> congratulating him on inventing Huey, Dewey, and Louie."

Another quote from Floyd Gottfredson via Petri Kanninen:

http://stp.lingfil.uu.se/pipermail/dcml/2003-August/018405.html

> "The only thing I know in the Comic Strip Department that was adopted
> in the pictures was [Al Taliaferro's] creation of Donald's nephews in
> the Donald Duck daily strip. Al's widow, Lucy, called me recently to
> read me a memo she had found while cleaning up Al's stuff at home.
> It was from someone in the Story Department, thanking Al for having
> created the nephews and telling him that they were going to use them
> in a short and since he created them, they not only wanted to go on
> record as acknowledging the fact that he had, but also wanted to
> recognize it with a check, which they sent him."

Over the years, a lot of people have been involved in the design,
characterization and development of HDL, but it seems Al Taliaferro was
the one who came up with the initial idea of Donald's nephews.

Lars