DCML or forum?

Olaf Solstrand olaf.solstrand at andebyonline.com
Wed Apr 12 19:18:35 CEST 2006

What I find amusing is that it seems as if we're having a long discussion
on a mailing list about whether or not it's even possible to *have* a long
discussion on a mailing list.

I use discussion forums online, and I use them a lot. But still I can't
imagine cutting out DCML in its current form -- because the DCML, as a
mailing list, is made for those people who actually don't have the time to
sit on a forum all day -- and that way, attending DCML *in addition to*
any Disney forum I use gives a whole new range of people to talk to all
around the world.

And sure, the delay from a message is sent until you recieve it can be
annoying, especially if you're used to forums. But wasn't this extra delay
added so that one could have the chance to moderate the list? Hey, this is
a mailing list, whenever anything is sent out, it appears in my personal
mailbox, and Per can't go in and delete obscenities in my personal mailbox
-- thus, it must be done before the message is sent. And unless we all
chip in on hiring people to do this job 24 hours a day, I don't see how
the necessity of moderating a mailing list can be done any other way than
delaying it.

And hey -- we're donaldists. The precursor of mailing lists were fanzines.
You got the donaldist magazine in your mailbox, you read the readers'
column, you were angered and upsed with something you read there, you
typed up a reply and sent it to the editor, and if you were lucky it was
on print three months later.

Sure. On the internet, it is possible to have real-time discussions.
That's one of the advantages of forums. Moderated mailing lists have other
advantages.

You can't choose between a mailing list and a forum. Or, you can, but they
aren't really comparable. A mailing list is one technology. A forum is
another. A chat is a third. A fanzine is a forth. They have certain things
in common, but they still are completely different.

Sure, real time discussions have been available on this list at a point.
Sure, if we ignore the advantages of disabling it, we can miss it. But
still, real time discussions are *not* the purpose of a mailing list, and
asking it from a mailing list is like asking that all story books should
come with a parent attached to read the stories out loud to you like when
we were kids.

A warm thank you to Per for maintaining the mailing list throughout the
years. It's been a pleasure reading it.

--
Olaf Solstrand

Norway's biggest Disney fan portal, with more than 1000 daily visits:
http://www.andebyonline.com