Direct references to Barks-stories

Jonathan H. Gray jongraywb at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 1 12:11:31 CEST 2006

Suddenly I'm curious. Did anyone *besides* Barks do this in thier stories
during the older days such as Murry or Strobl? Can anyone think of non Barks
artists/writers who did this either to thier own stories or even to Barks'?

I know Gottfredson did it many times during the course of ealier Mickey
Mouse strips but this was usually at the very beginning of the next story
being serialized. The best example being the immediate segue between "Mickey
Mouse on Sky Island" - Doctor Einmug shooting down Pegleg Pete's plane - and
"In Search of Jungle Treasure" where Pete winds up crashing comically
through Eli Squinch's roof. :)

This also leads me to another question - what was Barks's collaboration like
with other duck and mouse writers and artists during his time? Has he ever
spoken of Strobl or Murry or Fallberg or Taliaferro? His interaction with
other peers/editors is something that is not often spoke of. Especially when
characters he'd created began being used by others (Gladstone, Magica,
Scrooge)

Jonathan H. Gray