Voodoo Coloring

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Tue Aug 15 17:47:59 CEST 2006

Larry:

> (Comic Album #16) has identical artwork to their 1994 reprint (Carl
> Barks Library DDA #10); I have a copy of both.  The coloring is
> different, but I don't know why they did another coloring for the
> second reprint, since I see no reason to prefer the second by Scott
> Rockwell, over the first by Sue Daigle and Gary Leach.

It wasn't a matter of preference, but a matter of production
techniques. In the time between Comic Album #16 and CBLinC DDA #10,
Gladstone had switched from paint-and-overlay color separating to
computer-based separating. This not only changed the way the
separating was done, it opened up how we could use color and how the
overall color would look. Though we still used hand-painted color
guides when we did CBLinC DDA #10, the ones we'd done for Comic Album
#16 could not be readily modified to take advantage of the advances,
so we commissioned a new set of color guides that would. It may not
have resulted in "better" color, but it was more consistent with the
overall look of the color we were doing for the CBLinC albums.

Gary