Postal regulations?

Tom Peaco tpeaco at exploremaine.com
Wed Aug 16 10:54:12 CEST 2006

 In a message dated 8/14/2006 2:45:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> wolfsong at mpinet.net writes:
>
>>I was just reading in one of the essays in Carl Barks'   Greatest
>>DuckTales
> Stories >Vol.1 that postal regulations prohibited  Scrooge and Gyro from
> appearing in the >same stories in Uncle  Scrooge comics.  Why should the
> Postal
> Service care >about such a  thing?

I think this topic came up once before.  If I remember correctly, the postal
regulations did not specifically prohibit any particular characters from
appearing together.  Rather, the postal regulations required there be
different stories in each issue in order to receive the best (cheapest)
shipping rate.  I'm guessing they defined different stories as ones which
contain totally different characters.  Consequently it was most likely the
publisher which decided not to put Gyro and Scrooge in the same stories in
the Uncle Scrooge comics (for purely economic reasons).

Tom