Carl Barks Christmas Stories

Leo Schulte schulte at teacher.com
Fri Dec 15 14:11:07 CET 2006

  Michael Schartau's comments from Sweden were interesting.  I just
  wanted to add that it is too bad the Carl Barks Christmas stories,
  like A Christmas for Shacktown and A Letter to Santa were never
  animated so they could reach a larger audience world-wide.

  Do we know if Walt Disney himself kept track of Barks' comic
  stories?  Is it possible he did not know these stories?  I have never
  had the opportunity to read much about Barks in a biography, but I
  have not read anything yet about Walt Disney himself following the
  Barks comic books.

  I can understand the business descendants of Disney not recognizing
  greatness and an opportunity, since they have made some really bad
  decisions throughout the decades.  I would find it odd that Disney
  himself, after reading some of Barks' stories, would not have used
  them for a movie or for cartoons.  Of course, the TV era was changing
  things, and if he did know the stories, perhaps he thought they were
  not "big" enough in the "Sleeping Beauty" fashion to attract people
  into a theater. (Sleeping Beauty lost money when it first came out.)

  On the other hand, with the 80's Duck Tales TV show much of this was
  rectified!

--

Search for products and services at:
http://search.mail.com