Hiawatha rhythm

Josefine Sandström eruriel_84 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 9 11:38:24 CEST 2006

>From: "Donald D. Markstein" <ddmarkstein at cox.net>
>To: dcml at nafsk.se
>Subject: Hiawatha rhythm
>Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:16:11 -0700
>
>In NINE-teen-NINE-ty-NINE i WROTE an AR-ti-CLE a-BOUT this TOP-ic. I
>have POS-ted IT where MEM-bers OF this LIST can TAKE a LOOK.
>
>BY the WAY, it IS-n't HARD to WRITE in RHY-thm, AND "the SONG of
>HI-a-WA-tha" ("KA-le-VA-la" IF you're EU-ro-PE-an) IS a-MONG the
>SIM-plest. JUST in CASE you HAVE-n't NO-ticed (OR are USED to O-ther
>WAYS of READ-ing EN-glish) I'VE been US-ing "HI-a-WA-tha" RHY-thm THIS
>en-TI-re MESSage.

The song of Hiawatha and Kalevala are both written in runometer (I don't
know what it's called in english). It consists of two groups with four
trochees in each, and a trochee consists of a long syllable followed by a
short one. In addition to this the groups should alliterate and the second
group should repeat the content of the first one one way or the other.

As far as I can tell, you're not using this metre.