No subject

Thu Mar 23 15:47:28 CET 2006

into the story. It's so well done that one almost feels the chill and
hears the wind and thunder. This is also a story of the kind one can read
a lot of times, and discover new things every time - in this case mostly
because of all the details in the art (and masterfully done in a much
less "irritating" and more subtle way than one certain Duck artist use
to make them ;-) ).
Read the story, folks. You won't regret it.

Next one out is another old one-pager (KF 06-03-51).

Then a story about Huey, Louie and Dewey (D 98257, 8 pages), written
by Pat and Shelly Block, and drawn by Anibal.

Donald's nephews are planning a special project at school (I think such
projects are more frequent in the US than in Norway, so it might be read
with slightly different eyes than planned. Personally I think Norwegian
schools should have much more of it. A lot of the techniques I now use
when writing articles are things I learned when writing the mandatory
"særoppgave" in high school (of course, my teacher didn't expect me to
write a book...)). They want to write something that hasn't been written
before, and Donald suggests they write about a possible ancient Indian
camp at a place where he, when a child, found a lot of arrow heads. The
boys find a cave, and really gets into the story. They swear an oath to
never have secrets to each other. Immediately after, they all find one
arrow head each, and they all keep it a secret.
The next day they all get into trouble because of the arrow heads, and
minds spinning, they all think Indian spirits are punishing them for being
dishonest. Donald, without knowing about the arrow heads and the secrets,
tries to be nice to them, and puts some of his old finds under their
pillow. You can imagine the kids' reaction when they wake up and find
them. To make it up to the spirits, they bring the arrow heads back to
the place where they were found. And when they return home, an Indian
chief (who Donald has invited) is waiting for them, with an axe in his
hand. The ducklings decide to write about gold miners from 1849 instead.
And, oops, a silver coin is lying in the grass.

A pretty good story. What I like about it is that the secrets aren't
just used to give the kids a bad conscience, and to come with a lot of
morality talk, but actually puts them into strange situations, mostly
provoked by their own imaginations. The art is ok.

Then a one page criminal mystery (D 98450), which is not a criminal
mystery at all, but a traditional puzzle where one is to find out what
happens with a lot a cog wheels etc. when a handle is pulled (I love
that sort of puzzles). No credits.

And then a Dutch Gyro Gearloose story (H 9197, 4 pages), drawn by
Jose Colomer Fonts.

Gyro has invented a machine that cuts bushes into sculptures. He just
have to show a picture to the machine, and it cuts the bush into the
motive of the picture. After a short while there isn't a single
unsculptured bush left in Duckburg, and he invents a chemical to make
new ones grow faster. When watching the experiment, he's disturbed by
the mayor who will give him a medal, and a lot of journalists. The
growing bush suddenly becomes very big, and threatens to wreak havoc.
Gyro acts quickly, takes a picture and shows it to the cutting machine.
It responds with cutting the bush down to the ground. The mayor isn't
too happy to learn that the picture showed his balded head.

Pretty funny. The art is good.

Next is a one-page Mim story (D 93094), no credits (someone must have
really loved to make one-pagers in the early nineties, eh?).

Mim is looking all over the house for her broom, suddenly realizing
that she's given it to a snow man.

Cute.

Then the first part of the Donald Duck story (D 99171), written by
Andreas Pihl, and drawn by Colomer. I'll comment this in the review
of # 9.

Last is another old one-pager (KF 03-12-50).

   Jørgen