Mickey's inferno

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Mon Mar 13 17:25:33 CET 2006

I have now read the story "Mickey's Inferno" in Gemstone's WDC 666.
To my surprise, it was quite enjoyable to read!
Here are some loose remarks.

- Canto 13 is missing! Superstition? 8-)
(In the original, canto 13 is mentioned in the panel previous to canto
14, where it says "Keep off the grass - it bites!")

- It's a weird story, typical Italian, but I like the meta-remarks like
"Now answer the questions I ask ya in the verse below!" - "Will do... in
the verses after that!"
(These are also in the original Italian.)

- Even when they wander through hell itself, American political
correctness is still active: Mickey says "where the HECK are we?" 8-)

- Gerstein couldn't resist writing: "Comic starts I know not - comic
EDITORS I WHIP!" 8-)

- All the verses are written on bright yellow captures. In the original,
the text was part of the panel and has the same background colour. Also,
some of the artwork was removed because of this. I (slightly) prefer the
Italian colouring.

- In the original, Dopey spoke some words. In the Gemstone version, this
was "corrected" (Dopey can't speak) in a very funny way! The text
balloons now point below the panels, and the text says that it's
actually Bashful who speaks, while Dopey is only miming.

- All in all, David must have a helluva job (pun intended) making these
verses rhyme - more or less. The result is beautiful!

--Harry.
(And today is 3-13, supposedly Donald's birthday...)