Disney-Published Comics

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at alumni.princeton.edu
Tue May 16 08:32:59 CEST 2006

ROBERT:

> Why does everybody older than 25,
> especially people like Bob Foster and Don Rosa, hold
> Disney and their comics in such contempt?

I'm not Bob Foster or Don Rosa, but I am slightly (cough! cough!) over 25, so
here's my view on the subject.

First of all, contempt is a very harsh word. Let's just say that overall,
Disney's version of their own comics is not my favorite.

The first thing I disliked was their emphasis on more modern titles, like
Roger Rabbit or Rescue Rangers. Although I keep reading and re-reading my US
Disney comics, I always skip these new titles; of all the stories produced, I
only liked one.

Although this is a matter of peference, I didn't care much for the style of
the new artists that they employed. I didn't like many of the modern,
"bringing Disney comics into the '90s" stories, and I didn't like those weird
stories, like "Goofy Frankenstein". Note that, judging from the letters
columns, there were people who loved all of the above. For some comics, they
commissioned accomplished superhero comics writers to write for Disney comics,
with dubious results. Even when doing more standard stuff, like in Donald Duck
adventures, I think they misjudged things a bit: devoting half of each issue
to Taliaferro strips was a bit too much. Again, there were people who loved
those strips, so this is purely subjective.

I think that what really made people dissatisfied with Disney's comics,
however, is that Disney took a successful series of comics from Gladstone and
turned it into a commercial failure, from which Disney comics never recovered
in the US. Arguably, Disney may have only been partly responsible for this,
but they can't have been completely innocent of it.

	Kriton.
-----
"I always believe everything, except on alternate Tuesdays."
-----