Strip Reprints--It's worked for Peanuts and Garfield

Shad Daly shadslists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 23:15:33 CET 2006

> From: "Marvinw" <marvinw at zahav.net.il>
> To: <dcml at nafsk.se>
> Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 18:19:49 +0200
> Subject: Strip Reprints--It's worked for Peanuts and Garfield
>

> Available for many years with wide sales and usually prominently displayed
> in bookstores are the large number of volumes of reprints, both B/W and
> colorized, of the daily newspaper gag-a-day strips of the popular and well
> known comic characters of Peanuts and Garfield (but I doubt as popular and
> well known as Mickey and  Donald).
> There is a vast reserve of King Features Disney daily strips just "itching"
> to be reprinted. If volumes of these were also widely sold, advertisements
> within could call the attention to and whet appetites for WDC&S and other
> Disney comics.
>
> However, if at all possible, I would expect and hope that Gemstone would
> consider the reprint of the daily strips, and particularly with the
> motivation of Mr.Geppi to explore new channels to revitalize pop culture.

Right now in America, there is a small trend of deluxe hardcover comic
strip reprints.  Titles such as The Complete Far Side 1980-1994 ($135)
and The Complete Calvin and Hobbes ($150) have sold very well, and so
have long-term propositions like The Complete Peanuts  ($28.95 for
each 2-year volume) and  Hank Ketcham's Complete Dennis the Menace
($24.95 for two years).  Similar projects for Popeye and Dick Tracy
just started.

So, I wonder if Gemstone has considered anything like that for the
Mickey Mouse comic strip?

--
Shad Z.                      ^Q^
My Blog: http://shadzane.livejournal.com