Upcoming Gemstone titles and re-re-reprinting

Phantom Blot zaridian at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 16:06:10 CET 2006

> Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 01:06:03 -0500
> From: "deanmary" <deanmary at zoominternet.net>
> Subject: Upcoming Gemstone titles and re-re-reprinting

> My overall biggest disappointment and concern is that Gemstone seems to be
> starting to focus primarily on re-re-reprinting stories.
> We now only have two regular titles each month.  With less titles each month,
> you would think re-re-reprints should be kept to a minimum.  Yet that seems
> to be the opposite of what is happening.  In the first 8 issues of Uncle
> Scrooge to be published in 2007, 4 of these issues have a Rosa reprint!

For this year 2006, we have had 11 Uncle Scrooge issues so far.

8 of the 11 issues have had a reprint (in English) as the opening story.

Uncle Scrooge #349 - January - The Doom Diamond (CB US#70 7/67)
Uncle Scrooge #350 - February - Last Sled To Dawson (DR AR113)
Uncle Scrooge #351 - March - Anti-Dollarosis (Scarpa)
Uncle Scrooge #352 - April - Isle of Golden Geese (CB US#45 10/63)
Uncle Scrooge #353 - May - The Great Paint Robbery
Uncle Scrooge #354 - June - The Black Knight Glorps Again (DR D2003-235)
Uncle Scrooge #355 - July - The Mysterious Stone Ray (CB US#8 12/54)
Uncle Scrooge #356 - August - Hall of The Mermaid Queen (CB US#68 3/67)
Uncle Scrooge #357 - September - Return To Xanadu (DR D90314)
Uncle Scrooge #358 - October - House of Haunts (CB US#63 5/66)
Uncle Scrooge #359 - November - The Incredible Shrinking Tightwad (DR D94202)

> I would really like to hear what other members on this mailing list who buy
> Gemstone comics monthly have to think about this.
> And if there are people who *do* like seeing re-re-reprints much more than
> new stories, can you please explain why?
> Perhaps I am just not seeing this the right way and someone can help me look
> at it from a different view.

> At this point though I am losing much of my enthusiasm for the future of
> Disney comics in North America and I *love* Disney comics, even more than
> it perhaps makes sense to do so!  How exciting can it be though to get even
> *more* copies of stories I already have...
> Perhaps the new Shonen Jump style title will focus on new stories.  Yet I
> have a bad feeling that Gemstone will take the "cheap" and "easy" way out
> and just fill lots of them with more re-re-reprints.

I share your disappointment. It has been a poor option.

Translating more Scarpa stories, appears to me, to be the best option for
future issues.

The Shonen Jump style books does sound like a "cheap and easy" replacement for
Donald Duck Adventures and Mickey Mouse Adventures. I have not seen a Shonen
Jump book, but I believe the books are more of a regular size, which is the one
thing I prefer over the "take-along" style books. However, I like the
production work of the "take-along" books, which will be missing.

I am also disappointed that the Mickey Mouse title is disappearing just as the
Paul Murry drawn serials were being printed in the one book. I was hoping for
every story of his to be published this way.

On the brighter side, the Gottfredson strips have been a nice addition to WDC.

> I realize that Gemstone wants to talk about their new titles and direction at
> their own place and time.  Wherever and whenever that happens though, could
> Gemstone *please* address why they are to my way of thinking largely giving
> up on new stories?

The silence is deafening.

I am a little bit surprised that Gemstone cancelled 4 titles without even
trying to see if they could carry a price increase. The whole idea appears to
be very negative.