Reprint / Cost Discussion

Chuck Munson chuckm_1962 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 18 06:45:57 CET 2006

Hi everyone,

I've been watching this discussion with interest.
Just thought I'd throw my two cents in, for what it is
worth.

First, as has been said, the reprint issue seems
mainly to be divided between those who would prefer to
see reprints (of varying percentages up to 100%) in
the monthly titles and those who would prefer to see
new stories (of varying percentages up to 100%) in the
monthly titles.

Personally, I do not mind seeing a certain percentage
of reprints in the monthlies.  I accept it is as a way
to introduce classic stories to a new audience.  The
reprint is the way I discovered Barks stories in the
late 60's.  Even at 6 years old I inherently realized
that a Donald and Scrooge story that looked like that
was one I was going to want to read.  I would love to
think that this is still happening.  However, the
reality of American childhood in the opening decade of
the 21st Century make it unlikely.  But it is still
possible.

Daniel offered:
> Gladstone acted as if they are poor people that
> need our support to stay alive. But Disney comics
> are no charity. Disney comics are commercial
> products.

This is true enough; Disney comics *are* commercial
products.  And I would guess that no one ever accused
Bruce Hamilton or Steve Geppi of being poor. However,
another reality of the US is that Disney comics here
have been a marginal business by all accounts for the
past 30+ years.  The only reason they have survived at
all is that there are individuals who had both the
devotion to Disney comics and the financial ability to
pursue the license from Disney.  Disney, the corporate
entity, has made it clear by their absence that they
do not care to promote such a marginal licensee, while
that does not seem to be the case overseas (please
correct me if I'm wrong).  So in a way, purchasing
Gladstone and/or Gemstone Disneys has been an act of
charity.  You are showing that you want them to be
continued to be published.  Naive perhaps, but you can
bet with the sales numbers for Disney comics here, it
is a darn good thing that Steve Geppi is not depending
on those sales to keep his businesses profitable!  I'm
not trying to say that we should be refraining from
voicing our opinions regarding Gemstone or any of its
predecessors, but I respectfully request our friends
overseas to remember the fragility of the business
endeavour called US Disney comics.

Take care everyone,
Chuck Munson
Herndon, Virginia, USA