Gemstone

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed Nov 22 00:24:36 CET 2006

Daniel Neyer, 21-11-2006:
> The Gemstone folks are on our side, so to speak, and we should stop
> acting (or, more precisely, Daniel should stop acting) as if they're trying to
> lie to us and trick us into buying their products. I didn't care for a lot of
> the recent Gemstone material (mainly the new Egmont stories), but I'm
> still very sorry to see so many titles bite the dust.
Are Gemstone folks trying to lie? Where?
What I emphasized is that editors try to sell a product, and that they defend
their products, giving us (as being their target) positive news rather than
negative news.

Gary Leach himself has told about commercial relationship in an answer to
me, on 17-11-2006:
"I have to presume you haven't given us your support for quite some
time, since the only support we have ever asked from anyone is to buy
our comics. In that way it is a purely commercial relationship,
always has been, always will be. You opted to stop buying our comics,
which is what we would only expect a dissatisfied customer to do, and
we would never expect you to buy another issue - in short, support us
- unless and until you felt we might once again be publishing
products to your liking."

David Gerstein's statistics emphasized the percentage of new stories rather than
the percentage of reprints. Editor Gerstein wrote he thinks Gemstone is doing
pretty well. That's an opinion. I have a different opinion based on those very
same statistics.
Which, as I wrote, leads to the question if statistics have any meaning at all.

Daniël