OT, Body (like a duck) dropped right through the Earth

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at inducks.org
Tue Dec 18 11:34:21 CET 2007

Hey all,

Clearing the attic I found this old "document", which was the start of a
C-program I made in 2002(?) I made a PDF including the simulation code
and a nice graph, but that must have been lost somehow :-(

It's all about the trajectory by which a body, like a duck, would
traverse if dropped from the surface of the Earth--we assume a hole
going right through the planet here.

The simulation came quite close to the analytical solution (provided by
Theresa), but I remember that in the end, I either had to modify
Planck's constant or the average gravity *slightly*...but it was very
very close.

Note that this is the engineer's solution to the problem, but at least
it has the benifit that the Earth could be a pyramid or a cube, the same
formulas can be used as opposed to something analytical.

http://raptus.dk/tmp/earth.jpg

Any mathematicians here who can tell me about the last assumption. I
could have implemented that but out of lazyness... :-)

Søren