Translators: To Tweak or not to Tweak

Francesco Spreafico francesco.spreafico at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:44:30 CEST 2007

jerryblake2 at juno.com wrote:

> A translator should be seen and not heard.

I agree with what you said (of course), and that's what I try to do all
the time!

But I'd also like to put a word in defence of Jonathan's translation in
this particular case. Besides the (very few!) things I noticed and that
got a little bit blown up beyond proportion here, this "Campionissimo"'s
translation is a good one!

My remarks about censorship weren't headed to him (nor to anyone in
particular), who, as a translator, has very little to do with it, they
were in general against censorship. The Italian censorship of those two
pages is a lot heavier... at least here Mickey *is* hunting, and not
"trying to save the hare from the birds" (?!?).
And back to that MouseWork reference, as I already said, it turned out
to good, an invisible reference that translates the original
"word-by-word", even, and does the job right. So let me actually praise
Jonathan's translation, it was not my intention to bash it.

Let's let the talk get back to translation in general, that's an
interesting topic.

Best,
Francesco