A few Gemstone questions

David Gerstein gdavid at gemstonepub.com
Sat Nov 10 06:18:48 CET 2007

Hey Dean,

> will we see trade paperbacks (TPB) on a more regular basis and more than only 2 or 3 a year?

Depends on what you call a trade paperback! At Gemstone, we class some of our one-shots as paperbacks, simply because they aren't periodicals. This includes the Barks/Rosa Collection, which will continue with two more books next year; and the Jippes Collection (tentative title), which is a new series from us and will have at least one next year. The Jippes books are presently planned to switch off between anthologizing Jippes' Barks Woodchuck recreations and his original work, including the famous Milton team-ups.
We may have another DuckTales TPB, though it will likely depend on how well the latest one (Marv Wolfman's "Scrooge's Quest") sells. We presently plan another WALT DISNEY TREASURES for next year. And we'll have SPRING FEVER, VACATION PARADE and CHRISTMAS PARADE again.

We also have some thicker, more in-depth collectors' books tentatively planned, though I can't get into detail as the details haven't been ironed out.

> Two, is there any chance of a third monthly prestige title in 2008?  I imagine I will keep asking that question
> periodically until there is a 3rd monthly title.  Maybe I am just a masochist! :)

You could be... but then, I'm one too. (-: I'd like to see another prestige title, but we don't have one planned yet.

> My question is what percentage of these leftover 3 panel stories have been printed and how many remain to be printed?

We have a handful of 3 panel stories left from the pocketbooks. Some we may not use until a more apropos publication comes along, so you won't see them immediately; but a couple of Scarpa and Cavazzano Mickeys may appear in WDC&S.
Not all 3 panel stories were originally planned for shelved pocketbooks, by the way. "Cloned Again" and "Brother From Another Earth," both recently used in UNCLE SCROOGE, was planned for UNCLE SCROOGE from the start; indeed, I see a healthy tradition of 6-panel stories now and then appearing in UNCLE SCROOGE, dating back to when Scarpa's "Last Balaboo" appeared there in 1990. We don't plan to feature them too often, but we're certainly not ashamed to include them.