"Ring Twice..."

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Sun Nov 11 19:21:02 CET 2007

Olivier,

> …the worst story, is "Ring Thrice and I'll Clobber You, My
> Lad" (D98058, Mark Shaw & Bancells), where Daisy becomes a bully
> who kicks and beats Donald every other page, and it whole leads to
> an appalling climax where the "only" solution to the problem is for
> Donald to beat Daisy to a pulp (to exorcize her), hitting her first
> with tons of food, but then using a giant hammer, punching her
> repeatedly in the head, taking her by the feet and smashing her
> against the hard rocky ground-- and then the "cured" Daisy tramples
> him and kicks him with a board.
> I cannot understand how such a story could ever be accepted by the
> Disney powers, and how Gemstone could publish such trash-- I'm
> sorry for the creators, but there's not other word for it; I am not
> a prude Dr Wertham, but there is no justifying so much senseless
> and pretty graphic violence (it's not a "whirlwind" fight with only
> onomatopae, you clearly see Donald punch Daisy several time)
> against a female character.

It's fine that you didn't like the story - by the sound of you pretty
much loathed it - but am I to understand that you've never read other
stories where Daisy has bullied Donald and beaten him silly over some
real or imagined slight? I did not find this story at all exceptional
in that respect.

Gary