My Gemstone Thoughts: Gemstone's Direction

Olivier (M&D) mouse-ducks at orange.fr
Wed Nov 21 00:46:31 CET 2007

Firstly, thank you Gary for the note on Screetone.
I recalled the name "Benday" when I saw it in your message, but I could not have remembered, since I rarely have the opportunity of  using it.

And now, thank you to Joe.
Your suggestion is very clear and detailed, and fully takes into account from both viewpoints & interests: those of  the readers (you might even further distinguish between casual readers and old faithfuls like us) and those of  the publishers.

I should have addressed this point in a previous message when I thought of  it; now I'll appear to be dumbly jumping on the wagon.
The Vacation Parade & Christmas Parade are both excellent, and I love the use of  vintage covers on them.
I'm not too sure about Spring Fever; I bought the first one and will get the others, but, whereas year's end and summer are two major landmarks in the year (middle and beginning/end), Spring sounds a bit contrived.
This has nothing to do with the quality of  the contents; Joe has already explained the buying logic.

Similarly, the Barks / Rosa books are good, but I think a whole Library of  either author would be more interesting than a series of  paired reprints.
On the one hand, one "thin" book may attract the casual buyer more easily because it's cheaper, but in the long run, a full collection will be more financially sound for the buyer, casual or not-- and a lot more for you should you publish a Library after testing the waters this way, because people will be even less likely to buy the stories all over again, in spite of  the added material and printing quality.

[...]

I like it. Where can I buy it?

Clever.

Let's add something more original than complimenting Joe's message and nodding approval....

Actually, it's something I have already suggested, I think-- or maybe I just thought about it and have never did.
I understand that adding even only 2 pages for an essay (one more page and the printing cost moves to the next bracket or that sort of  thing).
Would it be possible to add such features online, with the address given in the comic?

The design need not be fancy, so that it would be simple to manage.
You could thus add an expanded version of  an interview with the author (maybe even an audio file for a limited time), or a longer "introduction" by the author, or a short essay by another contributor.
Anyone finding the page would not have the story anyway, and could then be intrigued enough to buy the comic.

Olivier