Would you believe even more Gemstone thoughts?

deanmary deanmary at zoominternet.net
Fri Nov 23 05:35:32 CET 2007

As I am writing this, there is only a little bit of Thanksgiving Day left.  Along with many other things, one thing I am thankful for recently is the great discussion here on the DCML about Gemstone's future, what you would like to see Gemstone publish, etc.  So big thanks to everyone who has been contributing!  And for those who have not written yet, what are you waiting for? :)

Joe wrote, "To Gemstone, itself.  Not nearly enough material has come along to replace the four titles we lost one year ago."  AMEN to that Joe!  While I think we all have some different views on how we would like to see Gemstone proceed in the future, I think about *all* of us agree that we wish Gemstone was publishing more.  Hopefully in 2008 there will be more than in 2007, more in 2009 than 2008, etc.

Now though Joe, I will have to disagree with you on a few things.  You are a big boy though and I am sure you can handle it. :)  I do not think there is any need for TPBs to only be for "special collections".  Why can't TPBs be full of an eclectic mix of stories?  After all, almost all the titles that Gemstone publishes now and published before are really anthologies filled with more than one story.  If a newsstand or prestige title can have a variety of stories, why not a TPB?

Let me put forward a hypothetical scenario.  Let's say that Gemstone was publishing US and WDC&S as they do now.  However along with the option of buying each for 8 dollars, you could buy the same content under one cover in one TPB for 16 dollars.  What would you choose?  I can't speak for others, but I know I would gladly choose the 16 dollar TPB that had the same content as the same two 8 dollar prestige titles.  I just very much like the TPB format better.  To me it is much more attractive and has the bonus of having more heft and looking nice on a shelf.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind a bit if the monthly "pamphlet" comic book was totally replaced by the TPB.  While my passion is Disney comics, I also buy some comics from DC and Marvel.  So let's say I buy "Superman" every month.  If I had the choice of buying 12 monthly issues or 2 or 3 TPBs 2 or 3 times a year, I would gladly pick the 2 or 3 TPBs.  Not only would they be in an more attractive format, but it would be nice to read a whole story or big chunk of a story in one volume.  Throughout the past 10 or 15 years it seems like the comic book industry is getting more and more comfortable with the TPB format.  Will it ever replace monthly comic books?  I have no idea.  If it did though, I would not be the least bit upset.

Even if you believe TPBs should only be for "special collections", I don't see a dearth of options as you do.  In fact, I think there are near *endless* possibilities!  We have talked about Barks, Rosa, and Gottfredson libraries.  But why would we have to stop there?  Why not Van Horn, Vicar, Scarpa, Branca, etc. collections?  Just by limiting the TPBs to certain creators there could be TPBs for almost ever!  Plus, think of all the topical collections.  A collection based on a Disney character, a season of the year, very long stories unsuitable for prestige titles, etc.  I agree with what Jonathan wrote that the possibilities of TPBs being almost endless and I am very curious why Gemstone does not print more of them considering Gary, Travis, etc. seem to think highly of them.

I agree with Olivier and Jonathan that while the Barks/Rosa books are nice, I do not find them to be essential, especially since there are *so* many stories we have never gotten the chance to read in North America.  However, if Gemstone is going to publish them, why not publish 3 or 4 sets of Barks/Rosa stories in a TPB instead of a basically prestige one-shot?  I doubt the people who are buying each Barks/Rosa book (which includes me) would not be just as happy to buy a TPB containing such stories.

One other thing about TPBs: libraries and bookstores are *much* more likely to carry them!  I doubt most libraries think the prestige format or even the pocket book titles have the heft or durability of a TPB  Where as a TPB is considered much more to be a "book" and thus more suitable for libraries and bookstores.

I am on the same wavelength with others on the seasonal annuals.  Not to beat a dead horse, but why not have a TPB "Christmas Parade" and a TPB "Vacation Parade" instead of what is being published now?  Not only would you get more stories, but you most likely would get more pages for a lesser price, i.e. more bang for your buck.

While most of the Egmont 3 panel stories were not my favorites, I would have gladly paid for 500 page B/W collections of them.  Why?  Well, it would be a great deal at the price of say 15 dollars or so.  While I would prefer the stories to be in color, B/W would have been acceptable to me.  Also, I would have bought these B/W collections if for no other reason than to have kept US and WDC&S clear of them!

As for the Gottfredson Library, some prefer it to be in B/W and some would prefer it to be in color.  Everyone that has written though seems more than willing to buy the Library even if it is not in the format of their choice.  While I hope the Gottfredson Library will be in color, I will still gladly buy it in B/W.

As far as waiting to publish a Gottfredson Library until *all* stories can be published with *no* censorship, I find that foolhardy.  For one thing, while I hope I am wrong, I think such a time may never occur or not for a loooong time.  Why wait and not be able to read most of the stories even with some censorship?  Secondly, such waiting may just get into a situation where *none* of Gottfredson's stories may be collected in a Library! :(  While I would love to have *all* the stories with *no* alterations/censorship, I will gladly take the opportunity to read *most* of his stories with as *little* censorship/alterations as possible.

I think the most important thing I can "write" is to quote what Jonathan said.  Jonathan wrote, "I think everyone is in agreement then. We need WANT and WILL buy a third prestige. At this point the schematics of it don't matter. People at Gemstone: HOW DO WE CONVINCE YOU AND WHOM DO WE NEED TO SEND LETTERS TO/EMAIL BOMB/MAIL BRIBERY PACKAGES TO MAKE IT HAPPEN?"  I think that is how most or all of us are feeling in regards to this situation and think Jonathan expressed it wonderfully!  I hope Gemstone does not see that as a rhetorical question!  We REALLY want to know what us fans have to do to get a third prestige title started!  Can Gary, Travis, David, etc. tell us what concrete steps we can take to make our voices heard and a third prestige title become a reality?  I have written Gemstone expressing my desire for a 3rd prestige title and I am more than willing to do so again.  However, it has gotten to the point that many of us are almost if not actually BEGGING for such a title and it does not seem like one is coming anytime soon.  If that is the case, can you please tell us *why* a third prestige title is not in the plans?  Also, what can we do to change your minds?

Well, I went on too long again, but then when don't I... :)  As usual, I would love to hear what others have to think on these topics.

Dean Rekich