Carl Barks Collected Works

nils at math.uio.no nils at math.uio.no
Mon Apr 7 08:41:22 CEST 2008

There was a message flying by a little time ago
that I did not fully understand, and I'd appreciate
clarification of the matter. It concerns "Carl Barks
Collected Works", which is in the process of
coming out in Norway, Sweden, Denmark
(and Germany??), in ten luxuriously made boxes,
each containing three hardcover books. So
far we Scandinavian subscribers have received
eight out of these ten boxes. They are "numbered",
exquisitely made, expensive, and published
by Egmont.

And now the question -- are these now going
to be published in English too, i.e. in the original
barksian language? In the same set of boxes,
the same design, with prefaces and articles,
etc. etc.? (And, in that case, will the original
hand lettering be kept?)

Perhaps I do not quite feel "cheated" if these
are now published in English too, but I did have
the distinctive impression, when it all started out
some three years ago in Scandinavia, that "this
would be it", they would not be produced in the
original barksian. I belong to the presumably
big segment of Scandinavian Barks fans who
might then rather have waited for the US version.

Nils Lid Hjort