Daan Jippes front cover for US375, March 2008

olaf.solstrand at andebyonline.com olaf.solstrand at andebyonline.com
Tue Jun 10 09:58:24 CEST 2008

Hi Larry,

I looked up the cover, and it seems to be re-use of this one:
http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=HC+DD1995-33

This cover has (according to Inducks) previously been used only one time:
The Dutch Donald Duck magazine #33/1995.

However, nothing space-relevant seems to be on print in that magazine: I
haven't read the main story, but the title and description sounds like
it's about a big pumpkin. The second-longest story is a Mickey where
Mickey must take care of a pig. None of the other stories in that issue
has more than four pages. Neither does the cover has Inducks xref data
saying that it's a reference to a story.

So my guess is that the cover is meant to be a simple gag, with no
relation to a specific story at all. I can't say it's a gag I really
understand that much, but there's really nothing even vaguely related to
space in that issue. In fact, SCROOGE doesn't even appear in that issue AT
ALL! (cover excluded)

Then of course, this could be a cover that was drawn for one purpose and
used for another -- and in that case, only Daan Jippes and the fine lads
at Sanoma Uitgevers knows for sure.

Best,
Olaf Moriarty Solstrand