Die grosse Welt von Entenhausen

nils at math.uio.no nils at math.uio.no
Wed Jun 11 13:30:00 CEST 2008

Is this a well-known book? I did not know about it until very
recently, and was delighted to stymble upon it. This is what
I posted at Facebook's "iRead" application (where people
may post reviews etc.):

Carl Barks / Jan Gulbransson: Die grosse Welt von Entenhausen (1988)

It is a deep pleasure to stumble across this wondrous book -- I felt as
Olav H. Hauge with his famous line, "at me ei morgonstund skal glida inn /
på ein våg me ikkje har visst um" -- since this is a book I did not know
existed, until last week (in spite of my reasonably broad exposure to and
knowledge of Duckdom). It does say "copyright Walt Disney", and it is
properly published, by a German publishing company, but it also smells
suitably bootleggy and underground. I do not think it has ever been
published or distributed outside some small circles in the deeper cultural
forests of Germany.

Its size is not merely Big, but Giant: 40 cm x 60 cm, and it has almost no
words. So what is this what? It is a supreme but humble hom[m]age to the
eminent Carl Barks (1901--2000), the greatest cartoonist of the 20th
century. The pages are excellently constructed, filled with details from a
long list of identifiable Barks stories. Thanks, Rolf.

The author and artist of this abenteurerliches Buch is Jan Gulbransson (b.
1949), a grandson of the famous Norwegian artist Olaf Gulbransson
(1873--1958). Webbing around I learn that also Old Olaf dabbled in comics.
Respect!

Nils Lid Hjort